When you are going to start a project, you need to choose a technical language you should go for in order to create it. For our projects we prefer using .Net/Asp.Net technology while implementing the ERP solutions. In this article we are giving our reasons for that and offering you the lists of the top open source and closed source ERP.
The advantage of ERP based on .Net / Asp.Net technology
ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) is an automated system that is created to integrate and automate the main processes of an organization’s business into a systematic manner.
We prefer using .Net/Asp.Net technology because of many reasons. Let’s start with the fact that the Microsoft .NET Framework consists of a large number of development tools and technologies that developers can use to create various types of applications of different complexity. But there are many more advantages of choosing this technology for ERP system projects and we are going to name some of the most important:
- It has rich functionality out of the box, so it offers hundreds of classes that provide a variety of ready-to-use functions.
- .Net platform provides ASP.NET technology that helps to develop dynamic and data driven web applications. There is an event driven programming model in the ASP.NET which is similar to Visual Basic 6 and can simplify the process of web development.
- It has multi-language support and a huge community of developers.
- It provides an object oriented environment.
TOP 3 open source ERP Systems on the .Net technologies
If your business wants to try simple solutions without investing much money, you can turn to the open source alternatives. Most open source ERP systems are web applications that you can download and install. You can find a great variety of flexible and feature-rich open source ERP systems and here we highlighted top 3 in the market:
- Dolibarr is an open source solution for small and midsize businesses. It offers such services as keeping track of invoices, orders, contracts, and payments and supporting electronic systems. It provides businesses with an online demo and add-ons store where you can buy full version with more features.
- ERPNext is a popular open source project that was created in 2014 to replace an expensive ERP implementation. It’s perfect for small and midsize businesses and has all necessary modules for project management, accounting, managing inventory, sales, purchase. It’s easy in use, has a clear interface and offers a set of fields that you can fill with information.
- Apache OFBiz enables organizations to customize the ERP to their needs and it’s perfect for midsize or large businesses that have the most internal development resources to integrate it within business processes. It has Modules that provide tracking for manufacturing, accounting, inventory management, HR, CRM, and e-commerce.
Best ERP Systems for Medium-Sized Businesses
- Acumatica is a business management solution for rapid-growth businesses. It has a huge variety of services, from on-line accounting to full ERP industry solutions, including multi-company accounting and financial management, manufacturing planning and control, distribution, project accounting, time and expense, construction, services, retail, eCommerce, and customer management (CRM). Acumatica has a licensing model based on the resources required. Its customers can use existing servers or move to a modern cloud implementation.
- Sage 100/Sage 300/Sage 500 is a solid legacy solution for growing businesses with a low total cost of ownership. It is easy in use and offers modern architecture, robust features and powerful customization to increase your productivity. Sage ERP systems provide user-centered design and allow users to use a broad suite of modules including business intelligence, financial, human resources, CRM, eBusiness, manufacturing and distribution.
- NetSuite claims to be №1 cloud ERP solution that connects main business operations like accounting, distribution, warehousing, and manufacturing and integrates sales, marketing, customer service and business analytics into one centralized information system. That is a solution for companies that are switching to the cloud for delivery of their business system to lower their operating costs.
Which ERP to Choose for Your Business, Closed Source or Open Source?
If we compare closed source and open source ERP, we can conclude that open source solutions can be used in specific cases only. They are fine for smaller companies that require simple processes or organizations with robust development and its internal staff. For greater companies, open source ERP can’t provide a great variety of functionality, and the software can be used purposely after extensive custom development. This can greatly affect total expenditures. For these reasons, companies select closed source ERP providers that can deliver high-level support and all multi-functional services.
If you also choose between the ERP configuration and ERP customization and what challenges it can bring for your business, we recommend to check this on our blog.
FiduciaSoft provides ERP services by involving certified Acumatica consultants, developers as well as PMs. We have extensive experience with customized development of successfully completed ERP projects for small and medium-sized businesses as well as enterprises.
We demonstrate our competence in delivering customized and high-quality ERP software, including Acumatica, Sage 100, Sage 300, Sage 500, MS Dynamics AX, and MS Dynamics 365. You can read more about our experience of customizations for Acumatica in the «cases» section on our website. And if you have similar projects, let’s discuss them and find the best solutions for the cooperation!