In this article we will touch upon a very popular question — how much does a web application development cost for business? By this, we mean creating software for solving business problems, like CRM systems, programs for POS terminals, applications for tracking cars by GPS, task managers, WMS services, etc. All of these are programs for automating business processes that aim to help a business work more efficiently or make money by providing services.
In this post, rather than talking about development processes and other areas, such as website development and Progressive Web Application, we want to explore all types of web application development projects and their average cost.
Medium-sized and complex web applications cost estimation
Before we begin, let’s answer one simple question: what is the difference between medium-sized and complex projects?
The main difference lies in the timing and number of specialists. The complexity of the functionality doesn’t really matter unless you want to write your application using very rare language, which will raise the web development cost per hour by more than two zeros at the end.
You may wonder, why do we talk only about medium-sized and complex projects. What about the small ones? The answer is simple — we think that web application development doesn’t include small projects unless you decide to implement a two-functional MVP without its further development.
Medium-sized web applications
The duration of such projects is between 3 and 6 months. The project team would consist of no more than 4 people. Also keep in mind, is that any medium-sized project can easily grow into a large complex project. Let’s take an example of our system development for GPS tracking project outlined in the linked post. This project included subsequent integration with ERP Sage 300.
In that case, our team developed the following:
- an application for tablets used by field crews;
- GPS tracking system;
- a program for tracking and setting tasks for teams.
But when the team decided to expand the functionality and integrate the system with the Sage 300, the project moved to the category of complex web applications.
In this way, we can conclude that:
- The cost of medium-sized web development projects ranges from 50,000 to 100,000 USD;
- The development team consists of 2 — 4 specialists;
- The duration of the project can take from 4 to 6 months.
Complex web applications
Such projects involve SAAS or web application development, as well as its integration with other services. The development of such projects usually takes 5 months or more.
To understand the scale of such projects, you can explore some of our cases:
- Developing cloud-based WMS system for integrations with different ERPs.
In this complex project, we have developed a warehouse management system that can be integrated with any ERP.
- Complex project for a shirt manufacturer and seller.
For our client, we have developed a web portal for managing product stocks. We have implemented an RFID system for accounting of balances and integrated it with a web portal. As a result, our team developed an online store based on CMS Magento that was successfully linked to the web portal.
In this way, we can conclude that:
- The cost of complex web projects starts at 135,000 USD;
- The development team consists of 4 people or more;
- The duration of the project can take from 6 months.
There are many other details that will determine the exect costs and timelines of your project. For instance, some of our projects last over three years.
We hope to answer your question about the custom web application development cost. Now let’s share a few tips from our experience.
How to build a web application and save some money?
In any development process, you are paying for the time spent by the specialists. Therefore, we have prepared some tips on how to save time and money while developing an application.
- The technical task should be described as precisely as possible. Think in advance about how the new development software must interact with the existing pieces and how it will scale as your needs grow. This will help you to optimize your development effort, save money on the long run, and save time for your business analyst.
- Find a person responsible for the project among your employees. This person must understand the technical side and know the basics of the software development process. Otherwise, such a specialist needs to be hired on the side of a contractor.
- Don’t try to make a complete product right away. Determine the minimum value product (MVP) and then add the necessary functionality as required.
- One of the common mistakes is that a client wants to do everything at once, and only then realizes that half of the functionality is no longer needed. Usually, at the time of such realization the money has already been spent.
- When working with a brand-new outstaffing partner, hire remote developers only if you have a project manager and a developer on staff. These people will help you decide on the technology, project timeline, team composition and will be interviewing the right candidates offered by the outstaffing partner. If you do not have a project manager and developer in house, consider engaging an outsourcing team instead- this way, your partnering company guarantees your final project delivery.
- Most importantly, don’t try to pinch pennies on every single thing. Remember, your number one goal is to get the project done. That is not to say that you should throw your money around. Point is to apply your budget dollars wisely with a maximum benefit for your business.
We hope this article has answered your questions about the web application cost. If you are planning some development tasks, fill up the form below this article. We will help you determine the cost of your project and offer you candidates to join your project team.
We provide a wide variety of product development, customization, and integration services in such industries as e-commerce, warehouse management, manufacturing management and automation, and many others.
Our experienced team is committed to providing high-quality business services with unlimited expansion capabilities to small, medium-sized businesses and enterprises across the world.
Let’s discuss your project now!
Leave your contact in the form below this text, and we will find the best solution for your project.